KiwiSaver HomeStart grant
After 3 years of contributing to KiwiSaver, you may be entitled to a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant. The grants are administered by Housing New Zealand and will be paid to your solicitor.
What the grants are worth
The two HomeStart grants are:
- For purchasing an existing home, the grant is between $3,000 and $5,000 based on $1,000 each year of KiwiSaver membership.
- For building or purchasing a new home, or for purchasing land to build a new home on, the grant is, in effect doubled to, $2,000 per year of membership in the scheme, up to a maximum of $10,000 for five years for each member.
There are maximum values of grants payable for the purchase of a single dwelling, regardless of the number of eligible purchasers:
- $10,000 for the purchase of an older/existing property
- $20,000 for the purchase of a new property.
Getting a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant
To be eligible for a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant you must:
- have been contributing the required minimum amount to KiwiSaver for at least three years
- be 18 years or over
- be purchasing or building your first home (see "Note" below)
- have a household income (before tax) of less than $80,000 per year (for one person), or less than $120,000 per year (for two or more people)
- have a deposit that is 10% or more of the purchase price, including the addition of the grant
- be planning to live in the house for at least 6 months from the settlement/completion of the property.
Income and house price caps will apply.
If you've owned a home before, in some circumstances you may still be eligible for a HomeStart grant. Housing New Zealand will need to determine that you are in the same financial position as a first home buyer.
To find out more, visit the Housing New Zealand website or call them on 0508 935 266.