Changes to your personal situation

Changes to your personal situation include turning 18, going overseas, changed financial circumstances and being declared bankrupt.

On this page find out about:

Change in contact details

If your contact details change, you'll need to tell Inland Revenue and your KiwiSaver provider.

You can update your contact details with Inland Revenue online by using My KiwiSaver. Login or register at the top right of this page.

Turning 18

When you turn 18 you'll be eligible to start receiving the Government contribution each year. From the date of your birthday until the following 30 June, you'll receive a government contribution for the portion of the year that you're 18.

If you're working, your employer will also start making compulsory employer contributions into your KiwiSaver account.

Going overseas

Going overseas short term or permanently will have an effect on your KiwiSaver membership.


If you're being paid while you're overseas because you're:

then your employer will keep making payments on your behalf, as well as compulsory employer contributions, to your KiwiSaver account.

If you're not being paid while you're overseas, you may not have to make any KiwiSaver contributions (check with your provider), and your employer will not be required to make compulsory contributions.

Being overseas may affect your eligibility to receive the full Government contribution. You can continue to make voluntary contributions.


If you're self-employed and you make payments directly to your KiwiSaver provider, you should contact your provider before going overseas to find out what you need to do.

Permanently emigrating

One year after you've permanently emigrated, to a country other than Australia, you'll be able to withdraw your funds and close your KiwiSaver account.

When moving to Australia you will be able to either leave your funds in a New Zealand KiwiSaver scheme or transfer your funds to an Australian complying superannuation scheme.

For more information on transferring funds contact your KiwiSaver scheme provider.

Find out what you can and can't withdraw from your KiwiSaver account

If you decide to return to New Zealand

If you decide to return to New Zealand you can re-join KiwiSaver if you're eligible.

Changing financial circumstances

You may want to stop making your KiwiSaver contributions for financial reasons.


If you've been a KiwiSaver member for 12 months or more then you can apply for a savings suspension.

If you've been a KiwiSaver member for less than 12 months then you can apply for a savings suspension, if you're experiencing, or likely to experience, financial hardship.

You'll need to provide evidence to support your application.


If you pay your contributions directly to your KiwiSaver provider, contact your provider to negotiate a savings break.

Being declared bankrupt

If you're declared bankrupt, your KiwiSaver contributions may become subject to bankruptcy proceedings. The outcome of these proceedings will determine how your contributions will be treated.

If you're declared bankrupt and issued with a new IRD number, it's important that your scheme provider is advised this.

Further information about bankruptcy can be found on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's insolvency site.

What happens if you die

On your death, all your KiwiSaver savings are paid to your estate.

Make sure you tell your next of kin who your scheme provider is. They will need to contact the scheme provider to discuss the documentation required to finalise and pay out the funds.