Automatic enrolment

When you start a new job, if you're not already a member and are eligible, your employer will automatically enrol you in KiwiSaver.

You'll be automatically enrolled in KiwiSaver if you're aged from 18 to 64 years, start a new job with a new employer and your job is:

  • full-time
  • permanent part-time
  • a temporary contract for more than 28 days, or
  • as a casual agricultural worker for more than 3 months.

Exceptions to automatic enrolment

You won't be automatically enrolled if you:

  • are under 18 years old
  • are a casual agricultural worker
  • are an election day worker
  • are a private domestic worker and you pay your own PAYE
  • are employed under a temporary contract for less than 28 days - however, if the contract is extended beyond 28 days you will be automatically enrolled on day 29
  • are a casual employee who receives holiday pay with your wages
  • are on paid parental leave or ACC
  • stay on the same payroll
    • when a business is taken over or amalgamated, or
    • if you relocate with the same employer eg transfer between branches, or if you are promoted
  • only receive schedular payments (formally withholding payments)
  • aren't required to have PAYE deductions made from your salary and wages
  • revert to an employer from whom you were seconded, straight after that secondment
  • are already employed as a teacher and transfer to another state or state integrated school
  • are an employee of the New Zealand State Services working overseas
  • are a shareholder employee and your income is not subject to PAYE.

Inland Revenue takes up to 3 months after you've been automatically enrolled to send your contributions and your employer's contributions to your KiwiSaver provider. Find out what happens after you've been automatically enrolled.

If you're automatically enrolled by your employer

Month 1
When you start work

Your employer gives you a KiwiSaver employee information pack (KS3).

You need to complete the KiwiSaver deduction form (KS2) in the KS3 pack and give it to your employer.

Clipboard tick
  Your employer sends the details on the KS2 to Inland Revenue. Employer Clipboard tick Inland Revenue

Inland Revenue provisionally allocates you to:

  • your employer's chosen scheme, if they have one, or
  • a default KiwiSaver scheme.
Scheme building
When you get your first pay

Contributions start to be deducted from your pay (before tax) at your chosen rate.

Your employer makes compulsory employer contributions.



KiwiSaver member Money transfer





Employer Money transfer



Month 2
Within the first 8 weeks

You need to decide whether to stay in KiwiSaver or opt out.



KiwiSaver member Clipboard tick





KiwiSaver member Clipboard cross



Within 3 months of your first contribution being deducted from your pay

If you don't opt out:

  • you have the option of choosing your own scheme
  • Inland Revenue holds on to your contributions and pays interest on them.
Inland Revenue
Month 3
After you've been making contributions for 3 months

If you've chosen your own scheme, you'll be enrolled with them. Otherwise you'll be enrolled with the employer-chosen scheme or default scheme you were originally allocated to.

Inland Revenue pays to your scheme your contributions and your employer contributions that have been processed, with interest.

Inland Revenue Money transfer Scheme building