Who can join?
Most New Zealanders can join KiwiSaver. Find out if you're eligible.
KiwiSaver membership is voluntary.
You can join KiwiSaver if you're:
- a New Zealand citizen, or entitled to live in New Zealand indefinitely, and
- living or normally living in New Zealand (with some exceptions).
You can't join KiwiSaver if you're:
- holding a temporary, visitor, work or student permit
- living overseas, unless you're a government employee:
- serving outside New Zealand, and
- employed on New Zealand terms and conditions, and
- serving in a jurisdiction where offers of KiwiSaver scheme membership are lawful.
If you're under the age of 18
To join KiwiSaver you'll need to contact the scheme provider - you can't join through your employer.
If you're under 16 years old, all your legal guardians will need to give their consent. You can't enrol yourself.
If you're aged 16 to 17 one of your legal guardians must co-sign your application form with you. If you don't have a legal guardian you may enrol yourself directly with a scheme provider.
In most cases once you enrol you can't opt out. If you were incorrectly enrolled in KiwiSaver before you turned 18, you may be able to opt-out before you turn 19.
If you already have a retirement savings scheme
You can still join KiwiSaver even if you already save through another superannuation scheme.