When schemes close down

If your KiwiSaver scheme closes down, your provider should contact you and explain what your options are and what you need to do, if anything.

If you're using mortgage diversion, your payments will stop from the date of the scheme windup.

If you have any questions you should contact your KiwiSaver provider.

Moving to a new scheme

If you ... then ...
don't want to choose a new KiwiSaver scheme
  • you don't need to do anything
  • Inland Revenue will allocate you to one of the 9 default KiwiSaver schemes.
do want to choose a new KiwiSaver scheme you can do this at any time by contacting the provider of the new KiwiSaver scheme directly.

What happens once you start with your new scheme?

  • Inland Revenue will write to you telling you which new KiwiSaver scheme you're now a member of.
  • You won't be able to sign up for mortgage diversion with your new scheme as mortgage diversion has been closed to new applicants from 1 June 2009.
  • Your new scheme provider will arrange for your funds to be transferred from your old scheme.